Blogs > Sixers Dish

A Philadelphia 76ers blog, hosted by Christopher A. Vito

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Slimmed-down Khalif Wyatt looking for his niche in Sixers coach Brett Brown's system

(AP)


From last year’s Temple roster to this year’s 76ers training-camp roster, there is no alteration to Khalif Wyatt’s weight. But the combo guard swears he’s gotten himself in better shape – and he sure looks the part.

Wyatt, who signed a partially guaranteed, multi-year contract this month, is attempted to play his way into the Sixers’ rotation. Shouldn’t be difficult, considering how young this team is and how needy for offense it will be. In his final season at Temple, Wyatt averaged 20.5 points per game en route to winning Atlantic 10 Conference Player of the Year honors.

That’s why Wyatt, a Norristown native, is convinced he needs to be in better shape.

“Coach (Brett) Brown wants me to make sure I’m in the best shape possible,” Wyatt said the other day. “He understands I’m getting in better shape, but he wants me in better shape. He wants to keep pushing me, keep pushing me, keep using the word ‘development,’ and wants me to keep developing my body and developing my game.”

Wyatt contended that he could have been in better shape at Temple.

“Somehow I got by,” he said. “Now it’s the next level. You’re not going to be able to get by unless you’re in tip-top shape. I took a concerted effort in my body (after the Orlando Summer League) and I still have a lot of work to do.

Wyatt led the Sixers’ OSL team in scoring – something that wouldn’t be frowned upon with the regular-season version of the club.

As for what position he will play under Brown, Wyatt said he’s unsure. He played the point at Temple, evolving into more of a scoring 1-guard with the Owls. With Syracuse rookie Michael Carter-Williams likely to start at point guard, Wyatt will take any spot he can get.

“I’ve always been better with the ball in my hands,” Wyatt said, “but at this level, somebody else could have the ball in their hands.”

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home