Blogs > Sixers Dish

A Philadelphia 76ers blog, hosted by Christopher A. Vito

Saturday, December 14, 2013

Blazers' Dorell Wright doesn't 'give a damn' about minutes, so long as he's playing for a winning team

(AP)


The Portland Trail Blazers brought to Philly a familiar face, in Dorell Wright.

Wright, who spent last season with the 76ers, got a two-year, $6 million deal in the summer from Portland. That’s a pay cut for the 10th-year swingman, who made more than $4 million for his work with the 2012-13 Sixers.

Still, it’s more than the Sixers were willing to offer Wright, who averaged 9.2 points and shot 39.6 percent last season.

“There was nothing,” Wright said.

That being said, the grass in the Rose City isn’t always greener. Wright, who’s playing with an unspecified bench role for the Western Conference-leading Blazers, is averaging fewer minutes (14.2) than all but one season in his career. He’s averaging 4.9 points and 2.5 rebounds in 23 appearances, with zero starts. Also, he’s shooting 34.9 percent from 3-point range – his lowest total from beyond the arc since 2006-07.

“But we’re winning,” Wright said. “I don’t give a damn how many minutes (I’m playing) as long as we’re winning. I could care less if I was playing 40 minutes a night on a losing team. That don’t make no sense. The ultimate goal at the end of the day is to win. That’s what we’re doing, and I’m happy with my role, I’m happy with this team.”

Wright said he’s stayed in touch with current Sixers Evan Turner, Spencer Hawes and Arnett Moultrie, as well as deposed coach Doug Collins. Wright has no regrets from his one season with the Sixers, a team of shooters assembled around anticipated centerpiece Andrew Bynum.

“When that put the team in, as far as the different pieces, it didn’t work out with all the different injuries,” Wright said. “I still looked at it as me going out there each and every night and leaving it out there on the court. I’m not looking at it just as, ‘I’m here for a year,’ or whatever it was. I wanted to be back. You always want to be in a city as long as you can. They had other plans, as far as going young and rebuilding. I had other plans, as far as going to a different team and getting to the playoffs. I haven’t been the last couple years.”

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home